Saturday, December 10, 2011

What's Next?

I'm reading an article on CNN about the controversy on what to call a 'Chirstmas tree'. It was a holiday tree in Wisconsin's capital and now it's a Christmas tree again. In Rhode Island it's no longer a Christmas tree but is now a holiday tree. Lots of loud talking from theists and atheists alike on what's proper.

This past year has seemed especially busy in the formation of free thinking student alliances on campuses around the country and by the multitude of atheist billboards going up. Of course each of these is accompanied by the usual loud talking and fist shaking by both sides.

And I tire of it.

I started this blog about 6 years ago. I've been reading other atheist blogs, I've read Daniel Dennet and Christopher Hitchens. I read Friendly Atheist every day. Now, I can't help but wonder what is next? The writing, the arguments, the billboards all seem the same, same, same.

And I tire of the rhetoric.

I'm all for and excited about the modern atheist movement but it seems stuck in 'billboard' mode. While I think it's important for the message to continue to go out I yearn for something more. What would that be?

The only thing I can think of that would really stir the pot is if atheist numbers and organization could get to the point to support and promote a truly free thinking, free speaking, atheist political candidate at the senate or governor level. I think we're years away from that but I'd like to think that it is going to happen sometime.

How great would it be for a reporter to ask the candidate about his religious affiliation and have him look straight into the camera and say, 'Atheist'. Follow this by asking the reporter in what way belief, faith, adherence to myths, etc is connected to governing?

In the meantime I guess we just keep banging the drum and speaking our minds. Freely and reasonably.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I'm tired of all of it. I read an article in the Sunday NYtimes and Tribune about the GOP debates and now that Candidate X is in the lead Candidates A B C and D all ganged up on him.

Why can't we just talk about the issues in general instead of just talking loud and pointing fingers and blaming other people.

There was also some poll recently that said something ridiculous like 70% of people are dissatisfied with what their congress person is doing in Washington so the thought is that again all the houses will switch.

HOW THE F*** ARE WE EVER GOIGN TO GET ANYTHING FREAKIN' DONE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Ok I realize this comment isn't directly connected to your post, but it's just very annoying.

Anonymous said...

Here, here!

Rich P