Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The Ten Comandments

We have a small consulting business providing support, resources, and training for teachers of young children in the areas of science and math. Check us out - S&S Collaborations. But that's not important.

We recently ordered some marbles from glassmarbles.com. Good price and we were looking forward to more business with them for some things we're working on. We received our first shipment today with the enclosure you see to the left.

Yeah those would be the Ten Commandments.

What the H. E. Double toothpicks?

I think this is rude. I think this is as rude as knocking on people's doors and asking them if they are saved. It's as rude as the guy on the corner with the bull horn preaching hell and damnation. It's just simply rude to insert your philosophy in a place where it is not asked for, needed, nor appropriate.

Here's my letter back to them.

Dear Gary Saltsman,


We received our marbles today. Thank you for the quick service. Strangely we also received a copy of the Ten Commandments in our order. In case this is one of your workers doing something behind your back I thought I should let you know. In any case we consider this bit of proselytizing rude and unnecessary. As a rational humanist I'm offended by being reminded that a large percentage of my fellow humans seem to be stuck in iron age mysticism. This sort of thing being inserted in my shipment is as annoying as people knocking on my door trying to sell me bibles or asking if I've been saved. Notice that I didn't insert any quotes from Daniel Dennet, Richard Harris, or Christopher Hitchens when I placed my order. And by the way, since you've opened up this door, those are all real people who have actually written things while there is no evidence that Moses actually wrote the Ten Commandments.


So, if this was a mistake and you intend on correcting it that's fine. If this is your normal way of doing business I'm afraid you've gotten your last order from us. 


Sincerely,


Scott Welty
S&S Collaborations

I'm wondering what the take is out there? Am I over reacting? How's the letter? C'mon. . .COMMENT!

4 comments:

vjack said...

I don't think you were overreacting at all. I thought that was an excellent letter you wrote.

Matt from Chicago said...

I probably would have kept it shorter. Since you don't know whether it's company policy or not, you should just state the facts and let them get back to you. For all you know, you could be writing all that to someone who agrees with you. That being said, I'd be pretty cranky, too, if I saw that.

I'm reminded of a site I *had* to order form last night because I couldn't find another vendor of 5mm square silver tubing. When creating an account, you had to choose an honorific. The options were "Mr." and "Mrs." So much for being part of the real world.

Anonymous said...

Well Put. I hope they take such umbrage at selling to a "godless heathen" that you get your money refunded! I doubt it, but you never know how deeply they feel about it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your letter! Not too much at all! My bet is that some Christian fundy runs the goddamn company.

Just tonight, after reading Greta Christina's book, I'm thinking about putting my "Don't Believe in God? Join the Club!" bumper sticker on my car. What d'ya think?

Rich P